Sunday, April 26, 2015

David Ellis Dickerson

Doing my homework for Pima Writers' Workshop 2015.

If you send in a manuscript to PWW 2015 for an author's comments, you'll list which authors you prefer to read your work.

David Ellis Dickerson was listed on Writers Buffet blog as a possible. I checked out from the Kenosha Library his 2009 House of Cards. It is a funny memoir.

I walked into a session with an author who had read my submission without ever reading any of her work nor without first attending her presentation at the conference. For me that was a big mistake. I missed a valuable opportunity. When she asked if I had any questions, I just mumbled a few really lame ones. Listening to her presentation and reading one of her books brought home how great a loss.

Dickerson is a good example. An excellent match for people with a sense of humor. An excellent match for those writing memoir. He has the skills, the talent, and the experience.

But before you choose him, check him out in his books, on his website ( www.davidellisdickerson.net ), and at www.amazon.com .

I first scan the author's books --- first pages and last page and then the middle. If interested, I read more. He hooked me on both his first page and last page in House of Cards.

No comments: