Saturday, June 8, 2013

What I did on my summer vacation.

Every year on the Memorial Day weekend Pima Writers' Workshop draws me for my summer vacation. While I haven't attended all years I attend most years and want to attend all years.

Over the next few posts I'll try to relate some of the things that I learned there this year. For me repetition, repetition, repetition is needed before I learn anything. The catch 22 here is that I get bored rapidly with repetition.  That's why the workshop is so valuable for me; it presents in a myriad of ways basic lessons and skills that are needed by every writer. It helps me develop the skills that I need as a writer.

And it takes time for me to make what I learn part of me. Knowing something doesn't mean that I will do it. It also doesn't mean that I fully understand it. Only time, effort, and failure yield results.

No comments: