Monday, June 24, 2013

Orlando White


Orlando White  www.orlandowhite.com

 

I only talked with Orlando White for a few moments outside of a classroom before class, but this meeting will stay with me. He is a man of presence.

 

He is the author of Bone Light , a teacher at Dine` College, and a recognized poet. He holds a BFA from the Institute of American Indian Arts and an MFA from Brown University.

 

I missed both of his presentations:  'Functional White' and 'Poetics of Misspelling'.  If there were a prize for humor in presentation naming, I think he would win it.

 

I enjoyed his poetry reading on Friday night of the Pima Writers Workshop 2013.

 

The poet W. H. Auden is quoted to the effect that to understand your country, live in a foreign country, better still, live in two. Perhaps because I served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Paraguay, my wish for Orlando is that he visits Paraguay. Not only Paraguay, but I hope he travels widely in Central and South America especially in Guatemala, Peru, Bolivia. Perhaps even living in one of those countries for awhile. Then I would suggest extended stays in Japan and Indonesia.

No comments: