Friday, August 29, 2014

Louis L'Amour

Perhaps my favorite author is Louis L'Amour.  In search of broadening my exposure to different types of writing I walked through the large print section of the library. Only the most popular writers make it to large print. If a writer had lots of books, I sampled one. L'Amour had a shelf full.

Those authors I liked I tried some more of their books and tried some of the books in their genre. L'Amour isn't just Westerns but he has written a lot of them. So I also tried Max Brand, Zane Grey, and several others.

L'Amour sounds to me like a name that should be writing romantic westerns and Zane Grey sounds to me like a western action writer. But the opposite seems to be true.

Something kept drawing me back to his books. His books seemed more than just westerns. They seem to handle the issues of young soldiers coming to grips with fear, weapons, and killing. Would they be able to do it? Would they like it too much? What would the gentle folks at home think? Could they possibly understand? Would they notice the change? Would they sense the hardness?

Yondering has a section called 'Author's Tea' that writers will find interesting.

No comments: