Friday, March 15, 2013

Novel

Into a good daily writing habit now. It certainly makes writing easier. Not posting to blogs as much but the main reason for me to write a blog was to write. Now the novel has taken over.

After getting to know my main characters by putting them in various situations and seeing what happens, I am better able to see them and to answer questions about them. I have tried to fill out a page of questions about my characters when I had a story idea in mind but no characters formed although their function already in mind. It didn't work. But after writing a page or so about them and how they reacted in a given situation, I start to know them, to feel them, and to see them in my mind's eye.

After writing several possible scenes, the story idea took a more concrete form in my mind. I was able to make a list of thirty chapters that would get the story told. So each day I write as much as comfortable on one chapter. The next day, I take up the next chapter. Eventually I will come back to chapter one and link it up with chapter two. It seems to work so far. I expect that the final version of this story will be greatly different from this first one.

No comments: