Sunday, August 28, 2011

Junk

Keeping Junk

Today I am going to a storage locker and move some junk and probably toss some. To some people I keep too much junk, too many broken useless things, and things that I will never use. It is true, I do. They also claim that I have no idea what is kept. Also true.

Today is a treasure hunt. Not a treasure of gold or silver or incredible antique value, but of smiles and memories. Photo albums and scrapbooks are fun but somehow they do not evoke the same powerful memories for me as holding a broken vase, a tin box of old feathers, or a gum ball machine prize. Each box is a surprise journey of memories.

Of course, the junk isn't needed for the memories. So available space determines just how much useless, never to be used junk can be kept for my journeys back in time. Today I start to clean out the storage garage. It won't be done quickly as I am going to savor every minute.

There are just as many excuses to write as not to. The trick is using the excuses to write. My journal is going along with me to the garage. Maybe a chair, a thermos of coffee, and some food too.


No comments: